Responsible Gambling Tips
About 90% of Americans gamble in a responsible way…so what does it mean to gamble responsibly?
- TREAT THE MONEY YOU LOSE AS THE COST OF YOUR ENTERTAINMENT: Treat any winnings as a bonus
- PLAN AHEAD: SET A DOLLAR LIMIT AND STICK TO IT. Decide before you go not only what you can “afford” to lose, but how much you want to spend. Do not change your mind at the casino after losing. Carry limited cash.
- SET A TIME LIMIT AND STICK TO IT: Decide how much of your time you want to allow for gambling – leave when you reach the time limit whether you are winning or losing.
- BE PREPARED TO LOSE: The odds are that you will lose. Accept loss as part of the game.
- MAKE IT A PRIVATE RULE NOT TO GAMBLE ON CREDIT: Do not borrow to gamble. Freeze or set a withdrawal limit on cards.
- CREATE BALANCE IN YOUR LIFE: Gambling should not interfere with or substitute for friends, family, work or other worthwhile activities.
- AVOID “CHASING” LOST MONEY: After you’ve reached your designated dollar limit, DON’T continue to play in order to try to win back the money. Stop gambling.
- DON’T GAMBLE AS A WAY TO COPE WITH EMOTIONAL OR PHYSICAL PAIN: Instead, talk to a friend, a family member or a professional counselor.
- BECOME EDUCATED ABOUT THE WARNING SIGNS OF DISORDERED GAMBLING
Check out this Gambling Expense Calculator to figure how much you spend on lottery tickets each year: https://keepitfunohio.com/costulator
If you or someone you know is struggling with gambling responsibly, there is help. Reach out to any of our offices to get set up for an assessment today.